10 Feb JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO WILL PLAY TUESDAY NIGHT AT 8:00 PM
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO WILL PLAY TUESDAY NIGHT AT 8:00 PM
Raonic Injury Will Keep Him From Delray Beach Open Debut
DELRAY BEACH, FLA: World No. 11 Milos Raonic has informed the Delray Beach Open that an injury sustained in the Australian Open will keep him from playing in the ATP World Tour event next week.
The 10-day Delray Beach Open kicks off this Friday, Feb. 12, first with the three-day ATP Champions Tour, and then the ATP World Tour event which is scheduled for Monday, Feb. 15- Sunday, Feb. 21.
Raonic suffered a right adductor injury in the Grand Slam semifinals against Andy Murray on January 29, and notified the tournament today that he has not recovered.
“We are disappointed, of course, that Milos won’t be playing here in Delray Beach,” said tournament director Mark Baron. “But ultimately, we hope that he has a quick recovery and can get back to the ATP World Tour as he is one of the bright young stars in our game.”
Raonic had looked forward to playing in Delray Beach in front of a pro-Canadian audience.
“I’m disappointed that I won’t be able to make my debut in Delray Beach on Tuesday because I am still recovering from the injury that I suffered at the Australian Open,” said Raonic. “I heard that there would be great support from Canadians in the area, so I hope to be able to play in Delray Beach next year.”
The tournament also announced Wednesday that 2009 US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro, who accepted a wild card into Delray Beach last week, will take Raonic’s prime-time slot on Tuesday night at 8:00 pm.
Del Potro will be playing his first match in nearly a year due to a series of wrist injuries that have sidelined the former world No. 5. His first-round opponent in the 32-player tournament will be determined Friday (Feb. 12) evening when the tournament releases its 2016 draw.